Friday, October 16, 2009

TESTING VS PRUNING

Another way at looking at testing and maturing, is that GOD is pruning us as we are now grafted to the Vine (i.e., Jesus) to become more fruitful (i.e., mature). Hence, we are continually being pruned or groomed spiritually during our short time of existence on earth, which I can only surmised to prepare us to have a personal relationship with GOD and CHRIST.

1"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunesa]">[a] so that it will be even more fruitful. 3You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

5"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." [NIV, John 15:1-1-8]

I have come to realize that although GOD is patient, we only have a finite time to mature as suggested as follows:

"6Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. 7So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?'

8" 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. 9If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.' " [NIV, Luke 13:6-9]

16And he told them this parable: "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. 17He thought to himself, 'What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.'

18"Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry." '

20"But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?'

21"This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God." [NIV, Luke 12:16-21]

I can only say that I have played the role of that "fool", in planning for tomorrow, but I too could have my life demanded from me this very night. This is a sobering thought. I wanted to share this with you all because I love you, and sense a need to change my priorities (bear good fruit).

1 comment:

  1. I think that James' letter gives good insight into bearing fruit. I hope it comes out as we study it.

    ReplyDelete