Thursday, May 1, 2008

Accountability or Attack?

When I read this quote this week, it made me think of our study. I think it kinda ties in to some thoughts this morning, too. Richard Baxter (1615-1691) took a negative aspect of being a Christian leader and turned it into a positive.
You should thankfully consider how great a mercy this is, that you have so many eyes to watch over you, and so many ready to tell you of your faults; and this greater helps than others, at least for restraining you from sin. Though they may do it with a malicious mind, yet you have the advantage of it. -- Richard Baxter, The Reformed Pastor, p. 76 as quoted by Vance Salisbury in Good Mr. Baxter, p. 69.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't mean to put you on the spot for leading, but I know how good you are. What did the group decide for next week: Robb, Doug, Greg, Brian, Jim or Jay?

    As far as Mr. Baxter is concerned: Yeow! That's a lot of eyes looking over your shoulder ready to tell you your faults. Kind of sounds like the "Captains and Kings" scenario.

    I'd rather just think of one set of Eyes (or the six of the Godhead!) looking over me. I like their vision and my conscious a lot better. Then again, maybe that's why I'm not a "Captain", just a grunt in boots.

    I'm looking forward to this new study. It really fits after our last one. Yesterday's discussion was quite spirited, I thought.

    ReplyDelete